Today’s post is something a little special!
UK conservation charity Save the Rhino is launching a really fun campaign for World Rhino Day on 22nd September! Save the Rhino is encouraging the world to get creative by painting and decorating their nails and sharing their creations across social media using the hashtag #NailIt4Rhinos. The aim of the campaign is to raise awareness for rhinos and fundraise for the charity. A very worthwhile cause I’m sure you’ll agree!
I’m sure some of you will be wondering why they chose nail art to raise awareness! The campaign was inspired by a connection that rhinos and humans share – rhino horns are made of keratin which is exactly the same protein material found in human nails!
Rhino poaching is at crisis point with just 29,000 in the wild today, meaning that we have already lost 95% of the world’s rhinos. During 2014, in South Africa alone a staggering 1,215 rhinos were killed by poachers. That’s one every eight hours, if poaching continues at the current rate then we could lose all of the world’s rhinos from the wild in the next 11 years.
By urging the world to share their nail creations on social media and encouraging their friends and family to join the cause, Save the Rhino is hoping to raise awareness of how serious poaching has become. Susie Offord, Deputy Director for Save the Rhino says: ‘Here at Save the Rhino we work to save all five endangered rhino species , so this year we’re asking you to make a stand for rhinos by decorating your nails and showing the world you care by using the #NailIt4Rhinos hashtag! If we can’t save rhinos what hope is there for other species in the world.’
All it takes is five simple steps to get involved with the #NailIt4Rhinos campaign:
- Customise your nails either using Barry M’s grey Chai polish or your own – get creative!
- Upload a nail selfie on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram with the hashtag #Nailit4Rhinos or send it to Save the Rhino at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you’re in the UK you can donate £3 to help save rhinos by texting NAIL15 £3 to 70070. Or you can make a donation online www.savetherhino.org/donate
- Share your photo with friends and nominate five people to do the same
- Visit www.savetherhino.org to learn more and see if your nail selfie has been featured on the website as one of the best!
I hope you all take part in this fantastic campaign! Don’t worry if you aren’t the best at nail art! Save The Rhino have the cutest rhino decals that you can order HERE!